Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Legs... two or four??

After some thought (Yes I am capable!) I took a turn into Corpach Boatyard in Lochaber and met a very knowledgeable shipwright, called Sandy, and we had a long discussion about what to do with the Lady 'in her present condition'.
As you know she is presently on her starboard side with the tide flowing through her on a daily basis, I personally don't think thats to big an issue as she is not moving and lets face it the corrosion doesnt matter at the present state of the repair schedule. 
However, the weather is getting a bit poorly now and all it would take is a half decent blow from the West and then I would be dealing with more than parted seams!
The main disussion with Sandy was on what to do with the Lady if she could not come out the water on Kerrera because of her weight.
Obviously, the Corpach yard can take her and do a full repair and I am going to have them give me a full quote to make her watertight and sea worthy again, the earliest that it could all come together is January as they have obligations to other boats meantime.
But meantime there is the issue of moving her and getting her somewhere that doesnt cost £110 a week to be tied up against a car park!
The answer is legs methinks and then tuck her into a corner somewhere until the yard can work their magic..
One thought is to drill a rib and a plank and attach a birch log leg slighty aft of amidships.  This would stablilise her to a point and then I could maybe put another leg slightly forward.  It would add extra strength in the long run. 
I am going to have to take advice before I start drilling right enough, I also have to persuade the previous owner of the Lady to supply me with the wood for the project.

Sorry I cant get any pictures up at the moment something is wrong with the software.  I'll look into it in the near future.

I have a whole lot more to talk about, but I think its more appropriate to put it on the website which is still being constructed....dont hold your breath!

I'll probably leave the blog until next week, when Sandy the Shipwright gives her a going over for the quote from the yard. Unless something happens of course.

Sorry about the spelling as well, spell checker is duff as well on this software!!

Aye

Kered 

No comments: